Infertility is often seen as something only women have to be concerned about. The reality is that infertility is due to female factors 30% of the time, male factors 30% of the time, and both partners or unexplained infertility 30% of the time.
Male infertility can even go undiagnosed by some practitioners not experienced in treating fertility. A semen analysis should be part of your initial workup with your reproductive endocrinologist. It is a non-invasive, low cost test that can really have an impact on your best course of action.
Common causes of male factor infertility include:
- Hormonal Problems
- Oxidative Stress
- Blockage of sperm flow
- DNA Fragmentation
- Previous vasectomy
Many times, varicoceles or blockages can be corrected with surgery. Follow up semen analysis will ensure that fertility has been restored. Other causes can be treated with medication or lifestyle changes. Sperm can sometimes even be removed from the testical directly to be used in an IVF cycle in a minor surgical procedure if needed.
Optimizing male fertility is an often overlooked part of a coupleâ€™s journey and, yet, there is so much you can do. Various lifestyle changes, complementary medicine, and supplements can have a big impact on male fertility.
ACUPUNCTURE AND MALE FACTOR INFERTILITY
Acupuncture has been used successfully to help treat male infertility. Research studies showed both an increase in the total number of sperm present and an increase in the number of sperm present without structural abnormalities. Acupuncture can also be used to help regulate hormonal imbalances.
At the Tennessee Center for Reproductive Acupuncture, we would like to treat both the male and female partners to help them optimize their fertility. Our recommendations for male factor fertility depend on the timing of the cycle. Sperm go through a 3 month growth and maturation process before they are ready to fertilize and egg. Because of this we like to see men 3 months before their fertility cycle, if possible. However, benefit has been seen from much shorter treatment windows and you can start treatment at any time during your journey. Feel free to call us for a recommendation on your situation.
SUPPLEMENTS TO TREAT MALE FACTOR INFERTILITY
We carry Conception XR supplements for male fertility. There are two versions of this supplement, detailed below. Their primary ingredients are antioxidants and other nutrients shown to increase pregnancy and birth rates and improve sperm motility.
- Reproductive Health Formula: This formula is designed to support normal male fertility and is recommended for any man trying to conceive. You can think of it as a prenatal vitamin for men! It is also recommended for IVF cycles, when motility support is not necessary.
- Motility Support: This formula has an added ingredient, L-carnitine, that is specifically helpful with sperm motility. It is recommended for low motility or when trying to conceive naturally or through IUI or medicated cycles.
LIFESTYLE CHANGES TO SUPPORT MALE FERTILITY
- Smoking has been shown to be very detrimental to sperm health. Please see your doctor about quitting.
- Alcohol: Limit to 1 drink per day.
- Keep your testicles cool: Avoid hot tubs, laptops on your lap, high temperature work areas, or prolonged baths.
- Diet: Increase your fruit and veggie intake and stay hydrated.
- Exercise: Aim for 30 minutes of moderate exercise per day.
- Harmful supplements: Some supplements containing DHEA or other ingredients, often used for muscle building, can impair sperm development.
- Environmental Hazards: Avoid working with radiation, pesticides, solvents, or other fumes when possible.